Friday 6 March 2009

Bodymore Murdaland


Yes, I've probably got to the incredible HBO series "The Wire" much to late and all you sophisticates out there are rolling your collective eyes at such tardiness. Nevertheless, I now know that there are 2 kinds of people in the world, those who've seen The Wire and those poor unfortunates who haven't. I am now in the throes of complete obsession, downloading interviews, biogs, pictures (mind you given the contents of the attached, do you blame me?)


Just got the music too. Fab toons all round, including one that actually nearly made me fall down! Now that hasn't happened to me in many a long year.

The Wire is one of those hallmark TV shows that makes everything before it look incredibly dated. In the same way that Deadwood (another great creation of HBO's) did, it just makes all other cop shows irrelevant.

Based in Baltimore, Maryland (the title of this blog is actually graffiti'd on a wall in the projects in Baltimore), the stories are lesiurely and complex, there's no spurious shedding of blood unnecesarily and yet it is one of the most violent dramas I have ever witnessed. The casual taking of a life is shockingly portrayed and no quarter is offered explaining any of the cultural refereences of life on the street, in the schools or in the courts in that troubled town.

I bought the entire set, all 5 seasons. After watching the first one I just had to. I am now a Wire evangelical, preaching whenever I get the chance.

The subject of the above picture is Idris Elba, a british-born actor who plays a very compelling drug kingpin in The Wire. He caused an absolute sensation in America and at 6' 5" you can imagine why.

This is not over! The wire will continue. Anyone wanting to comment/share please do, the more obsessive the better.

Yo


1 comment:

MancinFrance said...

Came late to your blog - but just wanted to let you know that I have just finished watching the last disc of the last series of the wire and am distraught. I'm here in deep France for just a year, trying to get Manchester out of my system, and trying out whether's it's actually possible for northern city-types to live in the country, the Wire has made the decision infinitely more difficult.