Friday 31 July 2009

No, These are the Best Songs Ever

The gauntlet having been flung unceremoniously in my face by Gregling, I started this list thinking, "where do I begin?". Well, at the beginning, fool. So in no particular order other than these have meant a lot to me all through my life, here we go. Of course, I shall be adding to this list as times goes by (wait a minute...) so stay tuned...

The Man That Got Away - Judy Garland



I must have been about 7 when I first saw A Star is Born. Judy's voice is wonderful in this live version of the heart wrenching torch song. For all who've loved and lost (who hasn't?).

I Want You Back - Jackson 5

Just before guitar music took me, Motown was my thang. Now in middle age the old pull has returned and Soul Music (or R&B as you young folk like to call it) has me in its grip again.

Swing by My Way - Will I AM and John Legend

Great R&B Tune

Then came Rory - and the rest as they say.....



David Bowie - Rock N Roll Suicide

Yes, I know but I have it on vinyl from a market in London with my name written on it! My brother bought it in Dublin, sold it for some weed, and picked it up again with my name in schoolgirl writing in the street lamp. Only we know it's true so the album is precious. The song is too for the campness and hysteria. FAB!

Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin

Bobby is and will always be my love. Oh and Jimmy wasn't bad either.

James Taylor - Carolina on my Mind

When Bobby was otherwise engaged, there was always James. Hard to imagine now, but a beautiful chiseled face with a river of dark shining hair. Sensitive and sexy, irristible!

Benny Goodman - Sing Sing Sing



Bit of a style change, but no less exciting. The big band sound as epitimised by a master. Try not moving! My dad had a whole collection of this sort of thing and I knew it off by heart. Never could jive though.

Fleetwood Mac Oh Well



Peter Green at his best, a great riff.

Joni Mitchell - All I Want

Grew up with Joni's songs, she always sounded so grown up. Still does.

Steely Dan - King of The World

One of their least known and greatest songs about a post-atomic world. "any man left on the Rio Grande is the king of the world as far as I know". This would make a fantastic movie. As always with the Dan, the lyrics are as good as the music. Those guys work hard at every song, and it shows.

Van Morrison - Into the Mystic

I first heard this in Ireland and desperately wanted to see him but never got to go. Story of my life, him, Zepp all of them. Probably why I love live music now, making up for lost time.

Oh Lori - The Alessi Brothers

Kenny Everett loved this and so do I. Kenny played songs he loved over and over again. i used to listen to his shows on Capital Radio in 1976/7. He was wonderfully obsessive and this piece of bubblegum is just soooo sweet!



Still on the cheddar..

The Starland Vocal Band - Afternoon Delight


Sorry, I know,but I loved this in 1976, that lovely hot summer. Oh and while I'm here....

England Dan and John Ford Coley - I'd Really Love to See you Tonight


Another one from 76. Ahhh

Joni Mitchell - In France They Kiss on Main Street

Yet another from 76, well that's when I first heard it. It will always remind me of long summer days and trying to get cool in the sea after dark.

The Police - King of Pain

I loved these guys from day 1. I wanted one of those flying suits. This is typical Sting,self indulgent,narcissistic and catchy with it.

ABC - Poison Arrow

Great Intro, fab tune, I loved Martin Fry.

It Bites - Kiss Like Judas

An 80's band would you believe? A bit before and after their time, they'd go down a storm now, strong guitars, long songs and lovely pretty boys. Francis Dunnery is in my humble opinion a guitar hero. Wonder what he's doing now? This video is typical 80s, tacky overblown lavish. Just listen to the riff!


Tears For Fears - Mellow

Mellow indeed, this is a band who could always write a good song and this one is a prime example. Just your good quality pop song.

Genesis - Cinema Show

When I'm down, I listen to the Seconds Out version of this. Who said prog was just for boys?

Yes - Siberian Khatru

Absolute hogwash, but great music in there. Your real prog, with Rick and the boys going for it on the Close to the Edge album.

Stone Roses - Tears

Story of my life, by the time I found these guys, they'd split up. Jeez! For an old rocker like me The Second Coming was indeed a revelation.

Radiohead - Just

"You do it to yourself" yep got it. Thom has always found the nerve hasn't he? Just the best band to come out in the last 20 years. Right on.

Devon Sproule - Old Virginia Block



Discovered via Jools Holland, this lovely girl is straight out of a Woody Guthrie song. Sweet voice and a touch of the "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?".

No comments: